1.03.2010

Avatar

Well...it was fun to watch. I mean literally watch, not watch like 'see the characters and plot develop.' I would go into mental tangents for minutes on end, missing vital plot points, trying to figure out what was real and how they filmed that part and marveling at the detail. I believe the technology developed for this film will be as revolutionary to the movie industry as was the work on LOTR.

Some issues:

-Jake Sully: There are many things here.
+He is just like, oh hey, fellow Marines, I guess I'll just kill you all now.
+Inter-racial love is wrong, as is loving a crippled man, so please make sure I'm a Na'vi forever. *Okay, this is harder to argue, because there are huge technical issues with love between an Avatar and a real Na'vi, but the idea they seem to push is not that Jake needs to overcome the technical issues, but rather the social barriers.
+Imma let you finish, Tsu'tey, but I am the best leader for this people, so let me get them all killed.

-Kisses, what?!: Why do these aliens, who theoretically evolved in their own galaxy, separate from Earth, act exactly like primitive human cultures?! They should have had sex/intimate relations with their braid anemones, not with... comparable human parts.

-Michelle Rodriguez's defection: Same issues here as with Jake killing all his mates. While it helps the story move and makes for cool scenes in the brig, it goes against her character.

-Half developed ideas that are never fleshed out: Such as the trees and plants all being linked like a brain or computer, Grace's character in general.

-General lack of character and/or character development: The only character that actually grew in the entire movie was Parker. Everyone else was flat or acted wholly out of character after every plot turn. For example, Neytiri is this badass hunter/warrior. Then she has mates with Jake is all subservient and submissive. What the frak is up with that?! The Colonel is interesting because he just gets crazier and crazier, but that doesn't make him a real character.



And now, Carrie's version of Avatar:

Mostly, I would change the end (in addition to the issues mentioned above). My first choice would be to end the movie after Jake and Grace and Norm are put in that cell and let the humans take over the planet and destroy everything. But, I can see how that would not go over well in theaters. Plan B--After Jake.Avatar asks the Mother Tree to help, the Mother Tree thinks about it, then kills everyone. And the planet slowly regains a natural equilibrium without the Na'vi or humans. SEE HOW MUCH BETTER THAT WOULD BE?!?!

I'm sure I'll amend this later and I process the film and think more about my point of view (and regret word choice and horrible sentence structure). But please comment with your own thoughts and arguments for or against my 'review.'


This was a good review/read about the cgiFAIL in relation to making it a better movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment