1.15.2010

Sherlock Holmes

I'm writing this after the second viewing, mostly because I was too lazy to do it the first weekend. I blame the queso fries at the Alamo.

I have watched this movie twice almost exclusively for Robert Downey Jr. And I will continue to watch it and buy it as soon as possible because of Robert Downey Jr. As a whole, the movie wasn't a masterpiece of art, but it was everything a summer blockbuster should be (or, in this case, a Christmas blockbuster). There were some pieces of the plot and characters that I would have liked to see more developed, but I think they were trying to set up the franchise and trying to set the story to secure future viewers.

My favorite parts were the quiet, thinking times of Sherlock Holmes--working to figure out a fight or dissecting people (psychologically, as far as we see). And his relationship with Watson is very well done. I haven't read any of the stories (shocker, I know), but the hetero-life-partnership we see in the movie is how I imagine the stories portray them.

Seven was talking the other day about a theory that Sherlock Holmes might have been slightly autistic or had Asbergers, which would explain his extreme attention to detail and ability to obsess over the smallest problems. Robert Downey's characteristic uniqueness he brings to each person he plays makes him perfect actor to take on a role in a adaptation that has many Doyle fans trepidatious. I feel dumb trying to justify his portrayal, as I have never read the books, but I liked his character--it definitely worked for me. Holmes never seemed like he was paying attention or attached to anyone and then BAM, brilliant deduction.

I wouldn't change too much in the movie. I think it could be tightened, but if the goal is to make a blockbuster set of movies, then I would let the details slide and pick up the slack later.

Verdict--go watch it, on the big screen if possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment