1.14.2010

Youth in Revolt

Charlotte and Seven were both gone for a long weekend, so I took the night to go see a movie, instead of coming home to an empty house (much to my dog's consternation). I had planned on Young Victoria, but after a long day, decided for something a little lighter.

Youth in Revolt was made 18 months ago, and it shows it's age. Micheal Cera is Micheal Cera--which is great, except I've seen this kind of dry-sarcastic-wimp many times before. Francois--his alternate personality--is the best part of the movie. I can't tell if he's a separate personality that is projected or if he switches between the two. Either way, the story is about a lost-emo-teen who is living with his promiscuous mother and her young, redneck boyfriend. They go on a little vacation to a nearby lake and he meets 'The One.' Her name is Sheena and she is love with a theoretical Frenchman, but dating the All-American Tony. Micheal Cera falls in love (read: becomes obsessed) and spends the rest of the movie trying to...have sex with her. He professes that he just wants to run away with her and live like outlaws, but we all know he just wants to sleep with her. Micheal Cera works with Sheena to get his father a job in her town, then get himself kicked out of his mother's house so he can live with his father. It all goes according to plan (Francois's plan, not Micheal Cera's plan) until Sheena's ultra-Christian parents decide to send her to a private French school. Micheal Cera and Francois spend the rest of the movie trying to get her out of the school and into their/his bed.

The truly funny moments are when Francois steps in and...nudges Micheal Cera. The scene with the mushrooms made me laugh outloud. In all, I'd suggest you only rent the movie. It is entertaining, and interesting. I think I enjoyed my show more because I had two guys behind me providing masterpiece theater commentary. They cracked me up more than the film.

I'm not sure what I would do differently. I would definitely release it at least two years ago. That might actually solve the box office problem it is facing.

Verdict: Rent, with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment