I liked this movie. It tread that line between 'I'm indie and artsy' and 'I will make tons of money for everyone involved and win awards.' Jason Reitman also brought us 'Juno' and 'Thank You For Smoking,' and he has proved again that he is the new generation of movie making.
The leads were all very good, and it this was the first role in which I've seen George Clooney actually play a real person, not a character. And it set the pace for the whole film. I found myself very attached to Natalie's character, probably because--even though we aren't in the same position--I can relate to a lot of what she's saying and feeling. But the true star of the film was Vera Farmiga. The 'twist' ending was almost expected, but the way she handled the phone call the next day kept it from being trite and predictable. The script had a rather generic plot, but kept it fresh by not dwelling or over-explaining on themes or events. This is something I really appreciate in the current screenplay climate of explaining-every-little-nuance to the audience as if we were dummies and couldn't make intellectual leaps of our own.
Were this my movie, I'm not sure I would change very much. There are a few scenes I'd make quieter, I'd tone down the colors a little. I'd also find a better place/tone for the ending interviews with the fired people. It didn't feel overtly forced or out of place, but I feel like there could have been something more done with it overall.
At the end of the day, I urge EVERYONE to go see this movie. It is a quiet film with good characters and good acting. I wish it the best of luck at the Oscars.
1.05.2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment